To minimize delays in working with your files, please be prepared to provide us with the following information:
About Your Computer System…
- What program(s) did you use to create the document?Be aware of which version of the software you are using. Midtown Printing Company supports all major graphics software. Feel free to consult our software page for our current list.
- What type of computer do you use? (PC, Macintosh)
About Your Files…
- What fonts did you use in your main document and associated graphics?
- Are the fonts Adobe Type 1, TrueType, OpenType™, or a combination of those?Have you included both screen and printer fonts? (TrueType and OpenType fonts have a single file that includes both the screen and printer font.) If you aren’t sure how to supply your fonts, click here to learn how to send your fonts to us.
- If you have placed graphics in your document, have you sent the original graphics files along with the document? This is needed for proper output by prepress.This means all EPS, TIF, JPG, JPG2000, AI, or other “source files”, as well as any art placed within these graphics. (For example, the TIF file placed within an EPS file. You should include all artwork, even if they are “embedded” in your files.)
- Placed images should be 300 dpi at their placed size in your document.Proper output requires proper setup. If your image is 300 dpi, but you blow it up to 400% in your layout program, the dpi drops to 75 dpi. Also note that opening a 72 dpi image in Photoshop and simply bumping up the dpi to 300 does not actually increase the quality of the file.
- If you used color in the document, what colors did you use and how did you specify the colors (RGB, spot Pantone, CMYK)?
- Is your document set up to the correct final trim size?
- Does your document include bleed of at least 1/8″ (.125) on all cut edges?
- Are all of your folds set up correctly? A mockup of your piece would be helpful.If you’d like to double-check your folds, refer to our folding guide.
What to give your Customer Service Representative…
- Please provide a print out and PDF of your document at 100% (in color, if possible). Please note: When creating your PDF, make sure all links are collected BEFORE creating the PDF. This will ensure all information in the PDF is as accurate as the final file.
- Let your Customer Service Representative know all necessary information, such as file dimensions, number of pages, and colors used. Let them know if this job should match any previous job.
- Never give away the only copy of your files. You never know when a power glitch, a magnet or some unforeseen event might damage a disk, rendering its files unusable. Always have a backup of any files you hand over to anyone.
- Only give Midtown Printing the files they need to produce your document. Supplying a disk with extraneous files slows the entire printing process and increases the possibility of incorrect output.